Hi All! Jennifer Davey here with a fun upcycle project. Re-purposing dads old shirt to reveal the superman inside. Great to honor dad or be the perfect finishing touch on a superhero bedroom.
HeatnBond® UltraHold Fusible Adhesive
Deco Foil™ Hot Melt Adhesive
Deco Foil™ Transfer Sheets • Black
HeatnBond® High Loft Fusible Fleece
Dad’s old shirt
blue cotton fabric 19-inch x 19 inch
yellow cotton fabric about 8-inch x 8 inch
red cotton fabric 8-inch x 8 inch
Pillow form 19 inch (I used a $3 standard pillow from the big box store that starts with a W)
magic cutting machine aka electronic cutter (I use an Artistic Edge by Janome)
Sewing Machine with Walking foot
basic sewing supplies
- Use your magic cutting machine to cut one shield from Hot Melt, One “S” from red fabric that has been fused to Heat n’ Bond (paper still attached), 1 set of all the extra bits from yellow fabric that has been fused to Heat n’ Bond (paper still attached). If a magic machine doesn’t happen to be in your tool box a printed image, a pencil, hobby knife and light box or a window will work just fine, aka Old school!
2. Apply fusible fleece to back of blue fabric. (a) Apply Deco Foil™ Hot Melt Adhesive centered on 19 inch square piece of blue fabric. Apply black foil on the hot melt. LET COOL COMPLETELY! Peel back to reveal beautiful black foil. (b) Place cut “S” centered on the foil. (c) Place all the center yellow pieces on foil. (c) Place paper backing from Hot Melt over your S then pressing paper over the top of that (these steps will preserve your foil shine! Do not place the iron directly on the foil, I promise it will NOT work out well). Iron in place.
3. Cut dad’s shirt. Cut collar at back laying collar flat and cut to match pillow size. Cut piece from back to pillow size and fuse to Fusible Fleece.
4. Baste shirt front piece to blue “S” emblem fabric. With right sides of shirts facing stitch around edges of pillow with 5/8 inch seam leaving 6-8 inches open at the bottom to add fluff.
5. Turn right side out and add fluff, hand sew the opening closed. Add tie by hand stitching in place.