Hello! It’s Gail from Boo and Lu Designs and The Simple Life Pattern Company. As a part of Thermoweb’s Show Thanks Week, I am sharing with you this quick and easy heart applique headband tutorial.
Heart Applique Headband
- 4-way stretch knit fabric
- Ballpoint needle
- Pins or Clips
- 1 package of HeatnBond Soft Stretch Lite 17″ x 2 YD Roll
- 1 package of HeatnBond Soft Stretch Lite 5/8″ x 10 YD Roll
- Heart Headband Applique
- Apply your 5/8″ HeatnBond Soft Stretch Lite to the right side of one short side of your fabric. Your HeatnBond will be right along the edge.
- Peel off the paper backing.
- Turn your fabric over so that the wrong side is facing up. Fold the short edge that does not have HeatnBond on it wrong sides together 1/2″ and press.
- Fold your headband in half, right sides together, so that the long raw edges align. Pin/clip in place.
- Sew or serge along the pinned edge with a 1/2″ seam allowance.
- Turn right side out and press the seam in the center of the headband.
- Print out your heart applique template and cut out the corresponding size.
- Trace your heart applique onto the paper side of your HeatnBond Soft Stretch Lite roll.
- Cut a square just slightly larger than the heart.
- Using your iron, press your HeatnBond onto your knit fabric.
- Once the fabric has cooled down cut the heart shape out with scissors and peel off the paper backing.
- Fold your headband in half to find the center.
- Mark with pins/clips.
- Fold one side of your headband in towards the center and mark the fold with pins or clips.
- Place the heart so that it is centered on the 1/4 point of your headband (the area that you marked with pins/clips in the previous step)
- With the adhesive side facing the right side of the headband press to adhere your heart applique to the headband.
- Take the HeatnBond side of your headband and place it into the side that is folded under.
- Press well to adhere the pieces together.
- Topstitch along the seam if desired
- Fold your headband centerpiece in half, right sides together, so the long raw edges are aligned. Pin/clip in place.
- Sew along the pinned/clipped edge using a 3/8″ seam allowance
- Turn right sides out and press flat so that the seam is in the center.
- Find the center front of your headband and cinch it together.
- Hold it in place with a pin or clip.
- With the bow center wrong sides out, wrap it around the cinched portion of the headband and pin/clip.
- Sew as close as you can to the headband without catching any of the headband in the seam. (You want your bow center tightly wrapped around the headband)
- Be sure to backstitch a few times to secure it well.
- Trim the seam allowance to approximately 1/4″.
- Turn the bow center right side out so that the seam is hidden.
- Now put it on or wrap it up to donate to your favorite essential workers to show your gratitude for all that they do!
I hope that you’ve enjoyed this tutorial, happy sewing!
**Special note as this is Gail’s first post for us and we’re thrilled to have her here on our team! We think you will be as well!