Hello! It’s Stephanie from Sissy Belle Sews here to celebrate Citrus Week with you today! The sun is finally shining here in Indiana most days, but even if it wasn’t, this cheery table topper quilt would be a good substitute! I designed a bright and cheerful centerpiece sure to add some sunshine to your home. Featuring appliqued lemons in bright and cheerful shades of yellow, this is a quick and easy way to bring some sunshine inside!
- 1 yard each of background and backing fabric
- 1/4 yard of binding fabric
- Scraps of green and yellow fabrics for lemons and leaves
- 1 package of HeatnBond Light Fusible Interfacing
- SpraynBond Basting Adhesive
- At least a 30″ square of batting
- Lemon Applique Templates
- Make 6 lemons and 12 leaves:
- Trace the lemon template on to the smooth side of the interfacing. Leaving a generous seam allowance, roughly cut out the lemon shapes. Place the bumpy side of the interfacing together with the right side of one of the yellow fabrics and sew on the drawn line, all the way around.
- Cut a small slit in the interfacing for turning.
- Turn the lemon right side out through the opening.
- Repeat for the remaining lemon shapes, as well as the leaves.
- Cut the main background fabric into a 24″ square. To make a circle, fold the fabric in half, then in half again to equal a 12″ square.
- Place your ruler in the folded corner of the fabric and measure several points 12″ from the fold to make a curved line. Draw a line to connect the points, then cut along this curve. Unfold and you should have a circle.
- Arrange the lemons and leaves on the background fabric and press in place.
- NOTE: I placed mine approximately 3″ from the outer edge.
- Layer the background fabric, batting square, and lemon appliqued top. Baste these together using SpraynBond Basting Spray prior to quilting.
- Quilt table topper as desired. I used a contrasting thread and top-stitched all around the lemons and leaves.
- Trim off the excess batting and backing fabric.
- Cut the binding fabric into two 2.25″ strips and sew together. Attach binding to edges of table quilt.
- Put it on your table and add some cheer to your home!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and are enjoying some springtime where you live!